Jenny was born Jennifer Campbell in 1944 in Bangalore, India. She moved to Scotland in 1948, followed by a move to Harrogate in Yorkshire in the mid 50’s.
She studied fine art at Harrogate School of Art and then got her Diploma in Art and Design at Sunderland School of Art.
After college she moved to St Ives in Cornwall, where she met and later married Dai Vaughan. They exhibited paintings at the Penwith Gallery and set up their first business Magic Murals, painting discotheques, and backdrops which responded to sound and light creating the illusion of movement and changing pictures and patterns.
This work culminated in designing and painting the exterior, the entrance stairway and the stage of Bumpers Discotheque in Piccadilly, the largest dance venue in Europe at the time.
In 1973 she and Dai and their two young children moved to the Isle of Lewis. There they lived a self sufficient life while restoring their 1829 manse built by Thomas Telford.
A new business Jenny Vaughan Knitwear, selling hand-made garments , made with the local Harris Tweed wool, initially to boutique shops in London, then exporting to Canada, and Germany